Saturday, September 17, 2005

Here's how you can tell that things are getting bad

Yeah, so our chickens were stolen this week. All of them.

You know that things are bad when people will steal 7 chickens from a community garden. I'm pretty sure that they took them to eat them (or sell them to someone who would prep them for eating), because they didn't take any chicken feed, or any of the eggs. You'd have to have a lot of yard space to keep and kill 7 chickens. It's such a shame- so many people got so much pleasure from visiting those chickens and eating their eggs. I feel like our (my) autonomy was taken away from me (us)- we didn't get to decide when exactly to put them down. We didn't get to see what it's like to kill, prep, and eat our own chickens. We didn't get to try to grow our own chicks. Jess is still trying to incubate the remaining eggs.

I was looking through a seed catalog yesterday and I saw something for chicken forage. It would have been so great to plant that stuff to distract our chickens from all the other plants in the garden. It was really ridiculous- people would let them run all over the place and nibble on and dig up all our plants...

Sigh, I miss my chickens!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home